Equipment advice Sheet
Please pass this information to the Health and Safety Manager.
Wheelie Bin Advice
• Please ensure that whilst HWP drivers are manoeuvring on your site the area is kept clear of pedestrians and obstacles. Personnel must stand well clear of any moving goods vehicles and be in full view of the driver at all times. They must not assist in any other duties.
• HWP drivers are forbidden to carry bins up or down stairs, we recommend that your staff do not either.
• Customers are advised to carry out risk assessments regarding the safe handling of wheelie bins provided for paper or goods collections. A full wheelie bin of paper will weigh up to 80 Kilogram’s.
• Empty wheelie bins are normally provided for customers to fill at their own convenience, either with paper for recycling or confidential documents for security destruction. When the bins are full please place them at a ground floor collection point where a collection vehicle has access.
• Please inform HWP of any access requirements i.e. HGV access only allowed to the rear of the building after 9.00 AM.
• Please be aware that paper can cause a fire hazard. Store bins away from any source of heat and do not block fire exits or fire equipment.
• Customers must inform HWP Immediately if any equipment provided is found to be damaged or unfit for use. Suitable replacements will be provided.
• Please ensure the bins are only used for the intended purpose i.e. paper for recycling or security destruction. Glass or sharp objects should not be put into bins because they cause a hazard to anyone processing the contents.
• HWP drivers have been instructed to obey customer’s site safety rules. Please inform the driver of any special instructions or call the HWP office.
• Keys will not be provided for locking wheelie bins so please ensure that any paper posted into the bins is for disposal.